Hesketh Henry are experts in maritime law. Our lawyers are leaders in the field and have extensive domestic and international experience. We advise across all aspects of business, contentious and transactional, providing commercially-driven, efficient advice. Our clients include vessel owners and operators, logistics companies, ship repairers, shipbrokers, port agents, service providers, P&I Clubs and marine insurers, both in New Zealand and overseas.
Our areas of practice include:
Cases our lawyers have worked on include:
- Charterparty disputes
- Cargo claims
- Advice on contract terms
- Marine insurance (coverage advice and claims)
- Ship engine and machinery claims
- Shipbuild / ship repair contracts
- Ship arrest / Admiralty proceedings
- Collisions and groundings
- Health and safety
- Sale and purchase of vessels
- Acting for the owners of a cement carrier following contact with a cruise vessel, advising on liability, quantum, and security.
- Advising ferry operators on the purchase of a vessel from an international owner.
- Advising a multi-national marine engineering services company in relation to delay, disruption and variation claims, international debt recovery following non-payment for works; defending claims following engine reconditioning, and advising on long term services contracts.
- Obtaining leave to continue in rem proceedings against a vessel notwithstanding the shipping company's intervening administration and the effect of the Insolvency (Cross Border) Act 2006.
- Defending a claim that deficiencies in the repair of the stern seal and exhaust system on a luxury 120 foot sailing yacht led to the yacht being unable to reach safe harbour in time and thereby suffering extensive damage from passing through a tropical cyclone. The claim was settled on advantageous terms part way through a four week trial.
- Acting for owners of a cargo vessel in respect of salvage, general average and hull insurance issues following the vessel grounding on a reef while under guidance by tugs.
- Prosecuting a claim against repairers in respect of the breakage of a connecting rod and consequent disintegration of a super yacht main engine.
- Advising on the purchase of the business and assets of a shipping company.
- Advising on the financing of vessels and fishing trawlers.
Hesketh Henry is named as "outstanding" in the maritime and aviation fields of practice in Asialaw Profiles 2017
, with Alan Sherlock
being individually highlighted. Alan is also listed in the Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 directory
recently joined the partnership, having previously headed the Middle East shipping and commodities practice of an international law firm, where he was rated in band 1 and as a leading individual in both the Chambers and Legal 500 directories.
is a former deck officer with experience sailing on a variety of vessels including container, RoRo, bulk, general cargo, oil tankers, LPG tankers, and multi-purpose offshore support vessels.