Sarah Holderness is a Senior Associate in the Litigation and Disputes Resolution team.
Sarah joined Hesketh Henry as a graduate and was admitted to the bar in December 2010 after completing a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Science at the University of Auckland.
Sarah assists with a variety of contentious matters, such as claims arising from defective construction, professional indemnity claims, and contract disputes including relating to delay and other issues on construction projects, and the supply of goods and/or services. She has also recently completed a seven month secondment with the New Zealand office of a multinational engineering firm, gaining considerable experience with front end construction project work.
Examples of work:
Sarah is a member of the Society of Construction Law (New Zealand), Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand and Women's International Shipping & Trading Association.
- Reviewing both consultancy services and construction contracts, advising on commercial risks, contract terms, and drafting.
- Defending a subcontractor in a proceeding involving a large apartment complex, multiple parties, and a variety of design and construction issues.
- Acting for a charitable trust board on an appeal from the Maori Appellate Court to the Court of Appeal concerning two related trusts of which the charitable trust board was a beneficiary.
- Assisting with the defence of a developer company and its director in a multi-party construction claim involving subsiding properties.
- Assisting with professional indemnity claims against firms of solicitors.
- Preparing Admiralty claims in rem against vessels, including applications for their arrest.
- Assisting with proceedings in the Employment Relations Authority and Employment Court.
- Advising various companies and individuals on debt recovery matters, acting in summary judgment proceedings, and appearing for creditors in bankruptcy and liquidation proceedings.