Richard is an experienced advocate. He regularly assists clients with complex civil and public-law issues, in addition to regulatory investigations and prosecutions. He has particular expertise in civil litigation, insurance, health and safety, professional discipline, regulatory compliance, and trade and maritime disputes.
He has appeared as counsel in various Tribunals, the District Court, the High Court and the Court of Appeal. As a former Crown prosecutor, he conducted jury trials involving serious criminal offending and regularly appeared at bail, pre-trial and sentencing hearings, and conviction, sentence and bail appeals.
Richard has also provided advice, and acted as counsel, to various regulatory bodies including:
- Maritime New Zealand (in prosecutions under both the Maritime Transport Act and the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015);
- The Real Estate Agents Authority (in unsatisfactory conduct and penalty appeals, and disciplinary prosecution of misconduct in the New Zealand Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal);
- The Teaching Council (prosecuting charges of misconduct and serious misconduct in the New Zealand Teachers Disciplinary Tribunal);
- The Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board (prosecuting both criminal and disciplinary offences); and
- The Royal Society for the Protection of Animals (prosecution of animal welfare offending).
Richard is a member of Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand (MLAANZ) and New Zealand Insurance Law Association (NZILA).
He has also assisted in drafting the New Zealand’s contributions to Lexology’s “Getting the Deal Through: Shipping” and the Shipping Law Review.