A well drafted will is a craft

The New Zealand do-it-yourself “DIY” attitude and way of life is not limited to home improvements, but sometimes also extends to wills.  Recently we had a DIY $5.99 fill in the blanks will across our desk.  This template will was incorrectly signed and failed to leave the estate (residue) to anyone.  Although, in the document, we could see the deceased’s intention as to who should be receiving the assets. 

Section 14 of the Wills Act 2007 (Wills Act) provides an avenue, through the Court, for a document that does not meet the strict statutory requirements of the Wills Act, to be validated.  This section has, in recent years, been used to validate incorrectly signed wills, as well as draft wills and suicide notes.

The Courts can also, using section 31 of the Wills Act, correct a will if it does not carry out the will maker’s intention or if there is a clerical error.  For our DIY will we applied under both section 14 to validate the will and section 31 to correct it, so that the will-maker’s intentions could be carried out by the appointed executor. 

A DIY will can create a stressful, costly and time-consuming experience for the will-maker’s family.  If a will-maker takes proper legal advice and has a will which is tailored to their unique life circumstances, then the stress, costs and time spent dealing with an estate can be greatly minimised.  There is an art to crafting a will, which is often underestimated and undervalued.

When drafting a will there are certain considerations to be taken into account which can impact on your freedom to gift your estate as you wish. 

These include matters such as your relationship status and how your assets (such as land and bank accounts) are owned.  Partners and spouses need to be considered when preparing your will as they have statutory rights under the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 and Family Protection Act 1955.  If partners or spouses are not appropriately provided for, then they would likely have a valid claim against your estate.

Consideration also needs to be given to your children, regardless of whether you have a good relationship with them or not.  If you do not provide for a child under your will, whether they are still under your care or over 18 years old and financially independent, then that child would more than likely have a valid claim against your estate under the Family Protection Act. 

Wills which are crafted to suit your personal circumstances and to reflect your statutory obligations to partners, spouses and children, will be more costly than a DIY will, but are invaluable to those who are left behind trying to interpret and manage your estate.  

For our DIY will, the Court was satisfied that the will was valid (despite the attestation clause failing to record the will-maker’s name).  The Court did not therefore need to formally validate the will under section 14 of the Wills Act.  The Court did however agree that the intentions of the will-maker were clear, so using its powers under section 31 of the Wills Act, corrected the will so as to fulfil the wills-maker’s intentions.

If you wish to discuss preparing or updating your will, please contact one of our experienced Private Wealth solicitors or your usual contact at Hesketh Henry.

Disclaimer:  The information contained in this article is current at the date of publishing and is of a general nature.  It should be used as a guide only and not as a substitute for obtaining legal advice.  Specific legal advice should be sought where required.





Do you need expert legal advice?
Contact the expert team at Hesketh Henry.
Media contact - Kerry Browne
Please contact Kerry with any media enquiries and with any questions related to marketing or sponsorships on +64 9 375 8747 or via email.

Related Articles / Insights & Opinion

Knowing your limits: High Court confirms liability caps in engineering consultancy agreements are consistent with Building Act duties
Design errors in a construction project can result in millions of dollars in loss.  Standard form consultancy agreements typically limit the amount that can be recovered for such errors.  The cap on...
09.07.2024 Posted in Construction & Disputes
glenn carstens peters npxXWgQZQ unsplash
Sender beware – how private are digital workplace conversations?
Following on from the recent Official Information Act request for correspondence between Ministry of Justice employees, employees may be wondering how private their online conversations with colleague...
04.07.2024 Posted in Employment
Concrete pillars impressive
TCC confirms Slip Rule limits in Adjudications
The Technology and Construction Court (TCC) has confirmed the narrow parameters of the ‘slip rule’ in the UK, which allows adjudicators to amend their determination to correct for any clerical or ...
02.07.2024 Posted in Construction & Disputes
Scots rule standard notification clause was condition precedent
In a warning for contractors, a Scottish Court has ruled that a standard form notification clause was a condition precedent to recovering time-related costs (TRCs) (FES Ltd v HFD Construction Group Lt...
01.07.2024 Posted in Construction
rape blossom
Anticipatory Repudiatory Breach and the Date of Default: Ayhan Sezer v Agroinvest
The decision in Ayhan Sezer v Agroinvest [2024] EWHC 479 (Comm) clarifies that where there has been an anticipatory repudiatory breach of contract, the “date of default” is the date of the breach ...
25.06.2024 Posted in Trade and Transport
My cross-lease neighbour wants me to consent to their extension. Can I refuse?
From time to time a cross-lease property owner may be asked by their cross-lease neighbour for their consent to specific matters, such as proposed structural alterations or additions to their neighbou...
25.06.2024 Posted in Property
Contract stock edit
I have a land covenant (or an easement) registered on my title that restricts the use of my land. Can I get this removed?
Where land is subject to covenants and easements, owners might find themselves in a position where they are unintentionally or unknowingly in breach of a covenant or easement or have purchased land th...
25.06.2024 Posted in Property
Send us an enquiry

For expert legal advice, please complete the form below or call us on (09) 375 8700.