14.04.2020

COVID-19: Business Finance Guarantee Scheme

The Government, retail banks and the Reserve Bank recently announced a major financial support package for businesses affected by the economic impacts of COVID-19.

The package includes a $6.25 billion Business Finance Guarantee Scheme for small and medium-sized businesses, to protect jobs and support the economy through this unprecedented time. The scheme will include a limit of $500,000 per loan and will apply to firms with a turnover of between $250,000 and $80 million per annum. The loans will be for a maximum of three years and expected to be provided by the banks at competitive, transparent rates. The Government will carry 80% of the credit risk, with the other 20% to be carried by the banks. The Reserve Bank has agreed to help banks put this in place with appropriate capital rules. In addition, the Government has decided to reduce banks ‘core funding ratios’ from 75% to 50%, further helping banks to make credit available.

For the official Beehive release, please visit: https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/mortgage-holiday-and-business-finance-support-schemes-cushion-covid-impacts.

The specific details have not yet been finalised, but we will update you when the Government make these public in the coming days. In particular, we will be monitoring whether the package will extend to provide short term relief to businesses that are unable to pay their debts when due under existing facility arrangements and whether banks will continue to enforce borrowers obligations under General Security Agreements during this period. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the COVID-19 Business Finance Guarantee Scheme and what it means for your business, please get in touch with our business advice team.

All of the latest Government information for businesses in relation to COVID-19 can be found on the business.govt.nz website: https://www.business.govt.nz/news/coronavirus-information-for-businesses/.  We suggest that this is reviewed on a regular basis to ensure that you have the most up to date information.

 

Disclaimer:  The information contained in this article is current at the date of publishing and is of a general nature.  It should be used as a guide only and not as a substitute for obtaining legal advice.  Specific legal advice should be sought where required

Do you need expert legal advice?
Contact the expert team at Hesketh Henry.
Kerry
Media contact - Kerry Browne
Please contact Kerry with any media enquiries and with any questions related to marketing or sponsorships on +64 9 375 8747 or via email.

Related Articles / Insights & Opinion

Covid-19 Risk Assessment – Vaccines only part of the solution
Vaccine mandates have been the “hot topic” in the news recently.  However, it has become clear that vaccines are not a silver bullet and relying on vaccination alone to address the risk of Covid-...
01.12.2021 Posted in COVID-19 & Employment & Health & Safety
Final changes to the overseas investment regime now in force
The Overseas Investment Amendment Act 2021 came into force on 5 July 2021.
24.11.2021 Posted in Business Advice & Foreign Investment & Property
Commerce Commission study announced for building supplies market
The Commerce Commission is set to undertake a market study into residential building supplies for major components of residential buildings 
24.11.2021 Posted in Business Advice & Construction & Regulatory
‘Tis the season … to comply with the Fair Trading Act
Retailers will be seeking to make the most of in-store trading reopening, particularly in Auckland.
23.11.2021 Posted in Business Advice & Regulatory
COVID-19 Protection Framework: Vaccination Certificates and Simplified Risk Assessment on its way
For some employers, Covid-19 vaccine certificates (CVCs) are required in order to operate within the Covid-19 Protection Framework (the Traffic Light System).  The scope of this requirement is slated...
23.11.2021 Posted in Business Advice & COVID-19 & Employment & Health & Safety
Retention funds:  where is the trust?
The importance of subcontractors scrutinising how retention funds are held, and how they are dealt with by insolvency practitioners, was highlighted in the recent High Court decision in McVeigh v Decm...
Review of Anti-Money Laundering law is underway
The Ministry of Justice is carrying out a statutory review of the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2013 (Act) to consider: how it has performed since it was introduced ...
19.11.2021 Posted in Business Advice & Regulatory
Send us an enquiry
For expert legal advice, please complete the form below or call us on (09) 375 8700.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
-->