He has more than 30 years of experience in drafting and reviewing business contracts both on a standalone basis or in the context of extensive legal due diligence investigations on behalf of local and international clients. He has particular expertise in assisting overseas entities moving into the New Zealand market through acquisitions or establishing a new business in the country. Erich also has a special interest in advertising and marketing law. He has advised a variety of international clients through the Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance where the firm is the New Zealand member.
Erich is on the Board of the German-New Zealand Chamber of Commerce and its immediate past President. He is also the Honorary Consul of the Federal Republic of Germany in Auckland. He was awarded the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany in September 2018 (Bundesverdienstkreuz am Bande).
Erich is fluent in German and Spanish. He has been individually recognised as a Leading Lawyer in the Corporate/M&A category in the Legal500 Asia Pacific 2020 publication.
Examples of work completed by Erich include:
- A New Zealand company in relation to the investment by a Chinese state-owned enterprise in a major dairy processing plant.
- The owners of a major New Zealand produce distribution company in Germany in relation to the sale of their shares to a New Zealand/Malaysian company,
- A German company and its New Zealand subsidiaries in relation to the acquisition of a number of businesses providing access solutions for commercial, public and residential properties.
- A German company and the world’s largest testing organisation in the automotive sector, in its acquisition of a majority shareholding in New Zealand’s leading automotive testing service provider.
- The New Zealand subsidiary of a Tokyo stock exchange listed company in relation to its extensive interests in forestry and timber processing operations in New Zealand.
- Foreign owned companies in relation to applications to the Overseas Investment Office for foreign investment regulatory approvals.