Nick is a partner in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution team at Hesketh Henry. He has particular expertise in construction, insurance and professional negligence.
Nick joined Hesketh Henry in 2013, and was made a partner in 2015. Previously he worked for a national law firm, before spending several years with a boutique construction and insurance firm in London. He is admitted in both New Zealand and England & Wales.
Nick has been involved in a wide range of building and engineering cases, and has defended numerous liability claims against contractors, subcontractors, engineers, architects, project managers and solicitors. He also regularly advises on coverage and other insurance issues involving all types of polices.
Examples of work:
- Defending proceedings in the Earthquake List regarding the scope of cover for remedial works.
- Defending High Court proceedings over the suitability and adequacy of earthquake repairs.
- Representing a mechanical & electrical marine contractor in a $3m claim for delay and disruption.
- Successfully defending a US$85m claim against consulting engineers concerning the construction of a Filipino power station: Mirant v Ove Arup  EWHC 918 (TCC).
- Representing a sub-contractor on the new Wembley Stadium in disputes with the main contractor: Honeywell v Multiplex  EWHC 390 and 477 (TCC).
- Representing a US firm proceedings policy coverage concerning design defects with a new wastewater treatment plant in Ireland.
- Advising on claims concerning new shipping facilities in the UAE and England.
- Advising the main contractor in a final account dispute in connection with a rail infrastructure upgrade project.
- Representing a Japanese manufacturer and pension trustees in a £3m negligence and rectification claim against former pension advisors.
Nick writes and speaks regularly on construction, insurance and dispute resolution issues. He has been published in Solicitors Journal, Post Magazine, Build Law and the Arbitrator & Mediator Journal.
||Individually recommended by
Legal 500 for insurance/professional indemnity and By Doyles as a Leading Construction, Projects & Infrastructure Lawyer.
- LexisNexis Dispute Resolution Guide (2016 & 2017)
- LexisNexis Practical Guidance - Insurance
- Getting the Deal Through - Construction (2015, 2016 and 2017)
- Rebuilding New Zealand: A case for Dispute Resolution Boards - AMJ, December 2014
- Once Bitten, Twice Shy - Third party costs order, Solicitors Journal, 10 November 2009
- Cover confidential - Disclosure of insurance cover, Post Magazine, 7 July 2008
- Disclosure Now - Disclosure obligations, Solicitors Journal, 13 July 2007
- Bitten by the costs - Third party costs orders, Solicitors, Journal 11 May 2007
- NZ Society of Construction Law
- NZ Insurance Law Association
- Dispute Resolution Board Foundation
- AMINZ (Associate)
- New Zealand Law Society