Sarah Holderness is a Senior Solicitor in the Litigation and Disputes Resolution team.
Sarah joined Hesketh Henry as a graduate and was admitted to the bar in December 2010 after completing a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Science at the University of Auckland.
Sarah assists with a variety of contentious matters, such as defective building claims, professional indemnity claims, contract disputes and debt recoveries. She has also recently completed a seven month secondment with the New Zealand office of a multinational engineering firm, gaining considerable experience with front end construction project work.
Examples of work:
Sarah is a member of the Society of Construction Law (New Zealand), Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand and Women's International Shipping & Trading Association.
- Reviewing both consultancy services and construction contracts, advising on commercial risks, contract terms, and drafting.
- Defending a subcontractor in a proceeding involving a large apartment complex, multiple parties, and a variety of design and construction issues.
- Acting for a charitable trust board on an appeal from the Maori Appellate Court to the Court of Appeal concerning two related trusts of which the charitable trust board was a beneficiary.
- Assisting with the defence of a developer company and its director in a multi-party construction claim involving subsiding properties.
- Assisting with professional indemnity claims against firms of solicitors.
- Preparing Admiralty claims in rem against vessels, including applications for their arrest.
- Assisting with proceedings in the Employment Relations Authority and Employment Court.
- Advising various companies and individuals on debt recovery matters, acting in summary judgment proceedings, and appearing for creditors in bankruptcy and liquidation proceedings.